Optimised video, optimised sensitivity, optimised speed, the Sony Alpha a7S III raises the bar for what a full-frame mirrorless camera is capable of. A revised 12.1MP Exmor R BSI CMOS sensor and updated BIONZ XR image processor offer faster performance, improved noise reduction, and a wider dynamic range, along with UHD 4K 120p video recording and internal 10-bit 4:2:2 sampling.
Video is the primary application of the a7S III, and improvements to the sensor and processor enable faster readout speeds and greatly reduced rolling shutter, along with high-bitrate internal recording, 16-bit raw output via the full-size HDMI port, and flexible control over motion with variable frame rate selection. The a7S III also does away with recording time limits and incorporates HLG for direct HDR production as well as S-Log2/S-Log3 gamma profiles for advanced HDR production with editing.
12.1MP Exmor RS BSI CMOS Sensor and BIONZ XR Image Processor
UHD 4K 120p Video, 10-Bit 4:2:2 Internal Recording (with CFexpress A cards)
Fast Hybrid AF System
5-Axis SteadyShot INSIDE Image Stabilisation
- Additionally, specifically for video, there is also an Active IS mode that adds electronic stabilisation for even smoother footage straight out of camera.
Body Design and Connectivity
- A first for a7-series cameras, a side-opening 3.0″ 1.44m-dot vari-angle articulating screen benefits working from high and low angles as well as a front-facing position for vlogging or other self-recording needs. This LCD is a touchscreen, too, for intuitive shooting control and menu navigation.
- Dual memory card slots both accept either CFexpress Type A or SD-type memory cards.
- Redesigned menu structure is more intuitive and complements having different workflows and settings selections for movie recording and stills shooting. The menu system also works in conjunction with the touchscreen design of the rear LCD.
- Accepts the high-capacity NP-FZ100 rechargeable lithium-ion battery, which provides approximately 510 shots/80 minutes of recording per charge when using the viewfinder or 600 shots/95 minutes of recording per charge when using the rear LCD.
- Full-size HDMI A port offers a more reliable connection when working with external recorders.
- A USB 3.2 Gen 1 Type-C port has been added, in addition to a micro-USB port, for faster, more reliable tethering support. The USB Type-C connection allows the camera to be charged or powered from the host power source while connected.
- Both 3.5mm microphone and external microphone ports facilitate greater control over audio recording.
- USB Type-C port can be paired with an optional Ethernet wired LAN adaptor to provide 1000BASE-T connectivity, wired remote shooting, or FTP transferring.